Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

The Man and I hosted NYE last night in our apartment, which was actually wildly successful. I'm a bit bleary-eyed, but not so much that I can't ruminate on the past year and focus on what I want for 2013. (A sign I'm not totally awake--that was originally "2103". I...think waaay far ahead?)

2012 wasn't terrible. I decided to leave my P/T job in late October to pursue photography full time, and I had given myself three months of panic-free time to see what I could do, and how far I could go. This ends at the end of January, then I'm allowed to panic again. Having said that, in those three months, I will have had:
- Meetings with Self, Marie Claire, Allure, California Brides, TBWA/Chiat/Day, More (technically, my agency had this meeting, but they had my book), and a handful of art directors, art buyers, editors, and other people who are really good contacts.
- 1-2 weeks in NYC for meetings, and three weeks in LA for meetings and shooting, the last of which is something I had never done before, but now see I can handle perfectly well.
- One editorial under review with a major magazine, the same set that was also my first time styling an extensive fashion spread. If accepted, I wouldn't receive monetary compensation, but it would still be an important development, career-wise.

I don't want to set wildly lofty goals for 2013, only to be met with disappointment, but I don't want to set the bar so low that I lose motivation. I want to be realistic. So, on that note, goals for 2013:

- Have five significant (paid or in print) editorials published
- Have 5-10 shoots in locations that are not San Francisco
- Successfully tweak my creative process. I can't just have folders of inspirational images. I need to be more proactive and start creating moodboards as inspiration hits. This might mean I have 20 moodboards, all works-in-progress, but it'll just make it easier for me to actually get the shoots done.


Not terrible, right? Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment